Anonymous said: Would it be okay to take birth control with anti-depressants and anti-psychotics?
There are a lot of birth control methods that would definitely work for you, depending on the actual medications that you’re taking.
Combined oral birth control (estrogen & progesterone) has the most interactions with other medications out of all birth control. Here is the list:
- Anticonvulsants: including phenytoin, carbamazepine, barbiturates,primidone, topiramate, or oxcarbazepine. People on these medications can use Depo Provera, or continue using birth control pills if they understand the risks involved.
Anticonvulsants that do not reduce the efficacy of birth control include include gabapentin, lamotrigine, levetiracetam, and tiagabine.
- Antibiotics: Rifampin is the only antibiotic proven to decrease the efficacy of birth control pills. When taking any other antibiotic, there is no need for back up during that time.
- Herbs: St. John’s Wort can decrease the effectiveness of birth control.
- HIV medications: there are many drug interactions between HIV meds and birth control, but it is very important for people with HIV to have effective birth control when they are not planning pregnancy. If you have HIV, speak with your healthcare provider to pick the birth control method that is perfect for you.
- Others: There is a potential interaction between fluconazole (diflucan) and birth control, as well as grapefruit juice and birth control. In these situations instead of decreasing the effectiveness, the interaction actually makes the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the blood higher. It is unclear what effect this has.
I hope that helps! If you’re considering birth control, check out this nifty flow-chart I made a while back:
- don’t like me
- liked me at one point, but don’t like me anymore
- hate what i post
- hate what i have to say about xyz topic
- find me annoying
- don’t have anything in common with me anymore, and are bored by the things i post
- feel obligated by whatever personal reason you may have to keep following me, even if literally any of those above things apply
this applies to mutuals as well. your dash should be your happy place, so no hard feelings and i wish you the best in life
people who’ve never experienced financial woes: ummmm why dont you just work 100 hours a week, sell everything you own, including your organs lol?
"McDonald’s is always hiring! :)"
"Ask for more hours!"
"Get a better job. You’re just being lazy! "
"Just go out and apply! There’s plenty of jobs out there!"
and the ultimate one:
* Men who don’t respect consent don’t have a special right to keep that private.
* Men who threaten violence against women don’t have a special right to keep that private.
* Men who disregard a woman’s sexual agency to objectify her don’t have a special right to keep that private.
* Men who abuse women don’t have a special right to keep that private.